But, I am not thin, fit or tall, and I still don't like veg. I consider Pringles to be one of my 5-a-Day. They count as two if you choose the Cheese & Chive flavour and three if you eat them with a glass of wine (grapes, you see).
I am also quite easily tempted to be lazy, which is why, wandering around Sainsbury's, I nearly picked up a pot of ready-made mash. It was £1.00 for 400g, so not expensive in the grand scheme of things, but at Carrot Towers, a pound saved is a pound earned. I would have bought one pot to serve two of us.
I had all the ingredients in the cupboards and fridge already; this is what you need to make enough for four:
- 900g potatoes
- 25g butter or cooking margarine
- 2tbsp milk
- 1tbsp crème fraiche (I used half-fat)
- Salt & pepper
- Optional - Pesto
This is how you make it:
- Peel & chop potatoes and steam or boil for about 20-25 minutes. I prefer to steam them, as they don't get bashed about and absorb lots of excess water.
- Drain when tender and return to the pan. Cover with a tea towel and leave for 5 minutes
- Add the butter, milk & crème fraiche and whisk together with an electric whisk. Add seasoning
- Add pesto, if you like it (which I do! I eat it straight from the jar with a teaspoon!)
- Potatoes - 90p
- Margarine - 4p
- Milk - 5p
- Crème fraiche - 10p
- Salt & pepper - 1p
- Pesto - 15p
- TOTAL: £1.25
Now, what shall I splash my saving of 75p on?